Delhi From Designer's Perspective
Delhi is the capital of India is one of the metropolitan cities situated in the North. Delhi is the hub of street food, trendy shopping spots, clubs, education, coaching’s of various competitive examinations and politics.
- Delhi has a great history and a significance as an important commercial, cultural and transport hub. Delhi is also famously known as the Political center of the nation.
- Euromonitor International in 2015 mentioned Delhi as the 28th most visited city in the world and first in India especially for foreign visitors. There are numerous tourist attractions in Delhi, both historic and modern grabbing the attention wide and high.
- Delhi is the best example of "Unity in diversity" as Delhi's population includes people belonging to every possible religion, gathering in one place from different parts of the world and
- not just India.
If Delhi is in your wish list, the following places will make it worth the visit:
Address: Netaji Subhash Marg, Lal Qila, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi, Delhi, India.
- Red fort was constructed between May 1639 and April 1648, when Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan decided to shift his capital from Agra to Delhi.
- It was designed by architect Ustad Ahmad Lahori,originally in Red and White.
- The Chhatta Chowk is a long passageway, surrounding a bazaar or market, located in the Red Fort of Delhi, India behind the Lahori Gate. This market is known to be quite exclusive in nature and specializes in trading goods such as silk, brocades, velvet, gold, silverware, jewelry, gems, and precious stones, catering to the luxurious tastes of imperial households.
Nearest Metro station to Red Fort: Chandni Chowk Metro Station
Timings : 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Red Fort entry fees :
- 35 per person for Indians
- 500 per person for Foreign Tourists
- Rs 25 for Video Camera
- For adults on weekends (Light & Sound show) = Rs. 80 per person.
- 30 per person for children on weekends (Light & Sound show)
- For adults on weekdays (Light & Sound show) = Rs. 60 per person.
- 20 per person for children on weekdays (Light & Sound show)
Address: 2573, Nai Sarak, Raghu Ganj, Roshanpura, Old Delhi, New Delhi, Delhi
- Chandni Chowk was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan and was designed by his daughter Jahanara, in the 17th century.
- Market is India's one of the largest wholesale markets, which was once divided by canals to reflect moonlight.
- Chandni Chowk is known for the variety and authenticity of food delicacies included sweets which are more than 1000 kinds. It is the location of the original Haldiram's and brand as well. One such Delhi delicacy is Jalebis, fried in pure ghee (Clarified butter).
- along with sarees designed in chikan and zari work.
- Narrow lanes host shops that sell books, clothing, electronics, consumer goods, shoes, and leather wearables. The place is also famous for sarees designed in chikan and zari work.
- It's one of the places named Bhagirath place is perhaps the biggest market in India for electrical goods, lamps, and light fixtures.
Nearest Metro station to Chandni Chowk: Chandni Chowk Metro Station.
Timings: Monday - Saturday (9:30 AM - 8:00 PM). Sunday - Closed.
Address: Hauz Khas Village, South Delhi, Delhi, India/ Africa Avenue Marg, Hauz Khas, New Delhi, Delhi 110016
- Hauz Khas was built by Allauddin Khilji in the 13th century. Historically Hauz Khas was known as Hauz-e-Alai.
- Hauz Khas is known for growing trendy shops and lodgings. It's popular for cafes and boutiques, not only in India but all over the world.
Nearest Metro Station to Hauz Khas: Hauz Khas metro station and Green Park metro station.
Timings (Complex): 10:30 am to 7:00 pm; Monday to Saturday
Hauz Khas Entry Fees (Complex): Free
- N Jha Park Timings: 5:00 am to 8:00 pm (summer); 5:30 am to 7:00 pm (winter)
- Park Entry: Free
- Still/Video Camera: Free
DHAN MILL AREA FOR SHOPS
Address: 287, 288, 100 Feet Rd, Chhatarpur Hills, Pocket D, Dr. Ambedkar Colony, Chhatarpur, New Delhi, Delhi.
- The place is an amalgamation of high-end brand stores, tiny shops, couture fashion houses, cafes, designer clay sculpture studios, and a lot many interesting outlets. Away from the hustle and bustle of malls & markets, the compound has got a very quaint, high-end, and niche vibe to it, so be assured you’ll always spot who’s who of the town and a lot of expat crowd here.
Nearest Metro station to Dhan mill area for shops: Chhatarpur Metro Station.
Timings : 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Address: Seth Sarai, Mehrauli, New Delhi, Delhi
- Qutub-ud-din Aibak, at that time a deputy of Muhammad of Ghor, but after his death, founder of the Delhi Sultanate started construction of the Qutub Minar's first storey in 1199.
- A great place to visit especially for the street food and shopping saga.
Nearest metro station to Qutub Minar: Qutub Minar metro station.
Timings : 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Qutub Minar entry fees:
- Entry Fee (Indian): ₹ 35
- Entry Fee (Foreigner): ₹ 550
NAPPA DORI CAFE
Address: Dhan Mill Compound 100 Feet Road, SSN Marg, Chhatarpur, New Delhi, Delhi.
- A Pan-European Cafe is a brand extension of Nappa Dori which is inspired by French, English and East European cuisines which is clearly reflected in the food and ambiance around you.
- There is an extensive menu for coffee lovers alongside iced and hot teas, kombucha, fresh juices and smoothies. It’s a pet-friendly café offering specially prepared food treats for dogs. Primary focus of the case introduces the diners to well-curated European home-style dishes.
Nearest metro station to Nappa Dori Cafe: Chhatarpur Metro Station.
Timings: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
ISLAMIC ART CENTER
Near Lodhi, 87-88, Lodhi Rd, Lodhi Gardens, The Garden, New Delhi, Delhi.
- Islamic cultural center enjoys a space of auditorium, conference room and restaurant facility for members.
- An exhibition organized by Iran Cultural House opens in IGNCA as well and showcases the Iranian Islmic art oeuvre. The exhibition can be enjoyed only for three particular days.
Nearest metro station to Islamic Art Center: Jorbagh Metro Station
Timings: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Entry fees: Rs. 14 per person.
Boali Gate Rd, Nizamuddin, Nizammudin West Slum, Nizamuddin West, New Delhi, Delhi.
- Nizamuddin Dargah is the dargah (mausoleum) of the Sufi saint Khwaja Nizamuddin Auliya which was established in 1325.
- The architect was Sunni-Al-Jamaat.
- People gather here to celebrate Vasant Panchami.
- The aura of the place is serene and peaceful even though being surrounded by food joints and noisy shopping marts. One can say, they are the charm that compliments the divinity in the dargah.
Nearest metro station to Nizamuddin Dargah: Pragati Maidan and Indraprastha.
Timings: 5:00 AM - 10:30 PM.
61A, Khan Market, Rabindra Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi
- Khan Market is established in 1951, once named in honor of freedom fighter Khan Abdul Jabbar Khan.
- It has a wide variety of stores, including modern showrooms of most well-known brands, silver jewelry outlets, delicatessens, bookstores, paints and hardware stores, electronics, kitchenware, and fabric stores mingling with some of the retail market for lighting fixtures.
- The never missing point about this place is the kababs. You can find the world best kababs here which you can search door to doors but can never get hands on.
Nearest metro station to Khan market: Khan Market
Timings: 10:00 AM - 12:00 AM
71, Khan Market, Rabindra Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi.
- The café is built up in European style moods reflecting an old infrastructure with a touch of modern contemporary look.
- The place is known well in Delhi for Wine and Coffee both, a combination for both kind of people who loves to sing over wine and hear the conversations happily over coffee.
- The continental part of the food tastes the best and most often is the reason for bringing back the crowd with hungry guts.
Nearest Metro Station to Perch Cafe: Khan Market
Timings: 8:00 AM - 12:30 AM
Mathura Road Opposite, Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia Dargah, Nizamuddin, New Delhi, Delhi
- Humayun's Tomb was built in 1569-70 by the commission of Humayun's first wife empress Bega Begum.
- It was designed by Persian architects named Mirak Mirza Ghiyas and his son, Sayyid Muhammad.
- It is known to be the first of the kind garden tomb in Indian continent as well as the first Indian building to have high neck drum with Persian double dome style.
Nearest metro station to Humayun's Tomb: Joe Bagh Metro Station.
Timings: 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Entry Fees: Indians - Rs. 35, International Visitors - Rs. 550.
Rajpath, India Gate, New Delhi, Delhi.
- India Gate is located astride the Rajpath, which was designed by Edwin Lutyens, who was commissioned by David Lloyd George, the British Prime Minister. It's a war memorial.
- India Gate is the main focus of travellers coming from all over the world to hoop around the parts of India and especially Delhi. The view of India Gate is quite mesmerizing, especially on rainy days and in summer when the first sun rays fall exactly on the high edge of the gate.
- You will always find interesting people around the gate, talking or doing some fun along with a bunch of photographers ready to capture your smile and embark your memories of the visit to the gate. You will also find tourist guides who can speak in multiple languages and will show you the entire place along with telling the significance as well as hidden stories behind the long-lasting legacy of the place.
Nearest metro station to India Gate: Mandi House.
Timings: The monument is open all day on all days of the week. The timings for the light show at India Gate is between 07:00 PM and 09:30.
Connaught Place, Sansad Marg, New Delhi, Delhi.
- Jantar Mantar Delhi is one of the giant Jantar Mantars thatMaharaja Jai Singh of Jaipur constructed in the early 18th Century.
- Jantar Mantar is in Delhi is a place where most of the protests takes place and political rallies are organised to communicate with the residents of the state during elections.
Nearest metro station to Jantar Mantar: Janpath.
Timings: 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Jama Masjid Rd, Jama Masjid, Chandni Chowk, New Delhi, Delhi.
- Jama Masjid is one of the largest mosques in India, which was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan between 1650-56 at cost of one million rupees of that time. It was declared as the ‘National Mosque of India’ on one of those majestic days.
- The place is three long gates and two minarets of 40 meters each, with an inside space of allowing 25000 heads in the same go.
Nearest metro station to Jama Masjid: Chawri Bazar
Timings: 7:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 1:30 PM - 6:30 PM
No entry fees but Rs. 200 will be charged for photography.
INA Market, Dilli Haat, Kidwai Nagar West, Kidwai Nagar, Delhi.
- Dilli Haat is one of the largest markets of Delhi situated in the commercial centers of South Delhi, opposite INA Market. Dilli Haat is a permanent market since years and one of those markets that have never been moved from the place by Government orders.
- Dilli Haat has a paid-entrance open-air food plaza and craft bazaari which is run by Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTTDC).
- It is famous for rosewood and sandalwood carvings, embellished camel hide footwear, sophisticated fabric and drapery, gems, beads, brassware, metal crafts, silk and wool fabrics.
Nearest metro station to Dilli Haat: INA.
Timings: 10:30 AM - 10:00 PM
NATIONAL RAILWAY MUSEUM
Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, Delhi.
- The former name of National Railway Museum, New Delhi was Rail Transport Museum,which was established in Feb 1997.
- The museum exhibits:
- The Patiala State Monorail
- The Fairy Queen Steam Locomotive
- Electric Locomotive Sir Leslie Wilson
- Electric Locomotive Sir Roger Lumley
Nearest metro station to National Railway Museum: Sir Vishweshwaraiah Moti Bagh Metro Station
Timings: Closed on Monday, Tuesday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
NATIONAL GALLERY OF MODERN ART
Shershah Road Near India Gate Jaipur House, New Delhi, Delhi.
- The National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA) is the premier art gallery under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India, which was established by the Government of India in March 1954.
- NGMA has a collection of more than 1700 works by 2000 plus artists including that of Thomas Daniel, Raja Ravi Verma, and Rabindranath Tagore as well as few known International artists.
- It is a must visit for art lovers as it has everything from the angle of contemporary to modern to staple cut culinaries of art pieces to impress the new comer.
Nearest metro station to NGMA: Khan Market metro station
Timings: Closed on Monday, Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00 AM - 6:30 PM.
Mathura Rd, Near Delhi Zoo, New Delhi, Delhi.
- Purana Qila is one of the oldest forts in Delhi which was formerly called Shergarh and Sher Fort. It was begun in the time of Humayun and its construction was continued under Sher Shah Suri, in the 16th century.
- It is famously compared and said to believe to have similar construction and vibes like Indraprastha, the holy place built for Pandavas to live.
Nearest metro station to Purana Qila: Pragati Maiden.
Timings: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
NATIONAL CRAFTS MUSEUM
Bhairon Marg, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi, Delhi.
- National Crafts Museum is the largest crafts museums in India. It is successfully managed by the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India, established by the Government of India in 1956.
- It was an good faith initiative of Kamaladevi Chattopadhyay, calling in artists from all over India to showcase the arts of their region and embark here as the symbol presenting their culture and traditions of their ancestors.
- In all today, over 35000 type of works are present in the museum in the form of paintings, layers of textiles, stone carvings, wooden artefacts and many more under an umbrella of incredible list.
Nearest metro station to National Crafts Museum: Pragati Maiden.
Timings: Closed on Monday, Tuesday - Sunday: 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM.
Ogaan is a clothing brand. There are so many stores of Ogaan situated in Delhi.
1) FLAGSHIP STORE - OGAAN at Hauz Khas Village
H-2 Hauz Khas Village, New Delhi 110016
Timings: Open all 7 Days, 10 am to 8 pm
Collections: Contemporary and textile-based and lounge collections for festive, formal, and bridal collection along with a great couture of costume jewellery.
2) OGAAN at Mehrauli
6/4, Kalka Das Marg, Mehrauli Rd.
Near Qutab Minar, New Delhi - 110030
Timings: Open 7 Days, 10 am to 8 pm
Collections: A perfect wedding collection for modern yet traditional wedding along with festive collections from well-known designers of the nation:
- Nidhi Tholia
- Ridhi Mehra
- Arpita Mehta
- Jayanti Reddy
- Kavita Bhartia
- Ridhima Bhasin
- Anjul Bhandari
You can also find a great collection of costume jewellery to pair up with the designs.
3) OGAAN at Malcha Marg
No. 3 & 4, Malcha Marg Market, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi -110021
Timings: Open 7 Days, 10 am to 8 pm
Our large, new second flagship with extensive collections and contemporary labels from none other than
- Raw Mango
- Payal Singhal
- Rashmi Verma
- Pratima Pandey
- Anamika Khanna
- Payal Khandwala
You can find some Suhani Pittie's elegant jewellery collection, leather goods, and limited-edition home décor accessories are other special finds on the platter.
4) OGAAN at Emporio
431, Third Floor, DLF Emporio, Nelson Mandela Marg,
Vasant Kunj, New Delhi 110070
Timings: Open 7 Days 11 am to 8 pm
Collections: A good collection of kurtas, lehengas, cholis and designer sarees under special bridal collection and festive season.
5) OGAAN at Khan Market
77, Khan Market, Middle Lane, New Delhi 110021
Timings: Open 7 Days 10 am to 8 pm
Collections: A broad collection of costume jewellery along with bunches of contemporary, western, fusion, lounge, and resort collections for wedding season. The speciality of this store is that the collection is stored keeping in mind the young generation including teenagers and young adults. The colour schemes are a good combination of pastels as well as vibrant, just like how the teens like for the traditional sphere.
The ensemble is a clothing brand located in Delhi, famously known for the vibrant collections of
- Sharara sets
- Concept sarees
1) DLF Emporio, Delhi
3rd Floor, DLF Emporio Mall,
Vasant Kunj Phase 2, New Delhi.
Timings: Open every day, 11 am - 8 pm.
2) Khan Market, Delhi
18-B, Ground Floor, Khan Market, New Delhi.
Timings: Open all days, 11 am - 8 pm
With this, we pretty much sum up our Delhi tour, there is surely much more than we can show and you can visit in one go but these are the sure shots when the foot is in ‘Dilwalo ki Dilli’